Hey Boston Lisp

Michael Bukatin bukatin at cs.brandeis.edu
Sat Apr 18 12:58:09 UTC 2020

Julia performance is such that the current trend is to code in Julia
end-to-end, without wrapping any C or Fortran. So, Julia is fast enough in
this sense. It is not mandatory to have a C/Fortran layer to have C-like
performance in Julia.

At the same time, I think there are plenty of cases where even C is not
competitive with Fortran, and I think the existing Fortran libraries are
to stay with us. Obviously, Julia has good interop with C and Fortran.

With new code, it might very much depend on preferences of software
engineers who write it. What that particular team finds more conductive
for their thought processes and end result.

With macros, I don't know - I would expect this to be the same as for
Common Lisp or Clojure. What is people's experience in the Lisp community
regarding the interplay between macros and performance?