[boston-lisp] merge boston-lisp-announce list into boston-lisp list?

Neil Van Dyke neil at neilvandyke.org
Tue Feb 28 23:41:12 UTC 2012

Please let me know if you have any comments on the goodness of merging
the "boston-lisp-announce at neilvandyke.org" list that I maintain into
"boston-lisp at common-lisp.net" list (or perhaps into a
"boston-lisp-announce at common-lisp.net" list).

You may wish to email me privately.  Any replies will *not* go through
to the moderated "boston-lisp-announce" list, anyway.

More info follows...

"boston-lisp-announce" (originally called something else, a bad pun) was
intended to reach the largest number of Boston-area Lisp
(CL/Scheme/etc.) users, for announcements of things like meetings of
Boston-area Lispers, highly relevant talks in the Boston area, and
Boston-area job postings involving Lisp.

When I created the list, I had a suspicion that many of the Lispers we
most wanted to attract were highly averse to being on email discussion
lists, and to spam, so I promised that "boston-lisp-announce" would be
very-low-traffic and heavily moderated.  I also adopted a policy of no
member listing and no message archives, for those people who want to
keep a low profile for themself or their startup company, or who just
think that might help keep their address away from spammers and headhunters.

When Boston Lisp Meeting started up, I think that "boston-lisp-announce"
helped jumpstart participation in that, by reaching a fairly up-to-date
and focused list of relevant people.  (Around that time,
"boston-lisp at common-lisp.net", or wherever it was hosted at the time,
was effectively dead, as far as I recall.)

Given that Boston Lisp Meeting announcements have seemed to constitute
most of the traffic on "boston-lisp-announce" in recent years, and that
"boston-lisp" seems to be the de facto list for post-Fare Boston Lisp
Meeting, as well as me realizing that a primo list of Lispers exists
nowhere other than my little personal Web site hosting account (the
continued existence of which is contingent on me not getting hit by an
MBTA bus)... I'm leaning towards talking with the "@common-lisp.net"
people about merging "boston-lisp-announce" into their stuff.

I'm asking here on "boston-lisp-announce" first and foremost to see
whether there are any objections to merging at this time.  I did make
some guarantees as to how the list would behave, and I will honor those
guarantees unless there are no objections.

Or perhaps people would conditionally accept the idea of moving the
list, so long as it becomes "boston-lisp-announce at common-lisp.net" with
the same guarantees as "boston-lisp-announce at neilvandyke.org".  (I
suggest speaking only for your own interest here, not speculating on
others', since everyone affected should receive this same message and
can speak for themselves.)

I'm CC-ing "boston-lisp" in case anyone there has ideas on how to best
handle a currently-hypothetical merging of lists.

All this said, if anyone would like me to continue to host and moderate
"boston-lisp-announce at neilvandyke.org", with the same guarantees as
always, I am happy to do so.  Modulo any unfortunate MBTA incidents.

Thanks,
Neil V.

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/