[bknr-devel] bknr.datastore store lockfile

Hans Hübner hans.huebner at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 06:17:57 UTC 2012

Hi Vladimir,

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 12:44 AM, Vladimir Sedach <vsedach at gmail.com> wrote:
> Are there any plans to add a lockfile to bknr.datastore stores? Right
> now it seems possible for multiple Lisp processes to open the same
> store, and I'm not sure the resulting behavior is desirable.

No, there are no plans to do that, but I'm open to patches that add
the functionality.  I did not ever see the lack of a lock file as a
problem, but I see how it is easily possible to seriously mess up a
store by trying to open it from multiple processes.

> Another problem I noticed (at least with SBCL on Linux) is that taking
> a store whose directory permissions are owned by some user and opening
> it as a process running as root (for example, if running a daemon that
> opens the store before doing setuid) causes that store to be erased
> for some reason.

Again, this is a problem I have not encountered, but I'm open to
patches correcting the problem.  Do you have an isolated test case
that exposes the problem?

Thanks,
Hans