[bknr-devel] bknr.indices, the slot NIL is missing from the object

Klaus Unger UngerKlaus at gmx.de
Sat Feb 23 03:40:58 UTC 2008

Hi Hans,

> well, so what you seem to write is that your application is
> architected around a generic function that serializes mutations, and
> that not having BKNR transactions support generic functions prevented
> you from just using them rather than implementing your own lock.  Fair
> enough.  I wonder why you can't use multiple generic functions instead
> of one, but that is beyond what I can (and want to) understand right
> now.
The generic function issue is just an additional "cost" for using
transactions. The main point is that I see no benefit from transactions.
I'm sorry I didn't made that clear earlier. (I don't want to claim there is
none, maybe I just don't see it or it is related to my scenario.)

> STM is interesting, but real transactional memory interests me more, I
> must admit.  There is an implementation of CLOS STM
> (http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-stm/), but the lack of support for
> non-CLOS data types is kind of a show-stopper for me.  Maybe someone
> will hack STM into one of the CL compilers, but I'm not really
> prepared to do that.
Thanks for the hint, though I have to agree that non-CLOS is essential.

> Anyway - If you need further support with BKNR indices, let us know.

Is it somehow possible with the datastore to run different stores in one lisp
process? For example to run multiple instances of the same web-application on
the same port on the same machine.

Besides the problems mentioned I have to add that I am really happy with the
concept of indices and the relief from traditional DBMs and ugly DB -> OO
mappings misleadingly claiming to be transparent OO -> DB mappings. I gladly
pay the scalability price for that, and I'm looking forward to gain more
experience with that paradigm.
I'll also have a closer look on the web framework aswell, it looks very
promising! Assuming no immediate projects/deadlines, do you think it is a
good idea to wait until the summer release?

Thanks for your patience (:

- Klaus