[bknr-devel] bknr.indices, the slot NIL is missing from the object

Klaus Unger UngerKlaus at gmx.de
Fri Feb 22 03:13:52 UTC 2008

Hi Hans,

I am using only serialization and indices, not transactions. I didn't manage
to easily use the serialization of bknr-datastore in a lightweight manner, so
I used the serialization of cl-prevalence.

When I started the project I had the feeling that transactions did not really
give me benefits (please tell me If I got anything wrong):
- It is hard to map complex generic functions to transactions
- A rollback costs to much performance to be used for anything except very
rare exceptions
- There are no thread isolation mechanisms except a global lock. (I can hardly
imagine anything else for the used model.)

Now I implemented some features (store-object) of the datastore myself. So I
would like to give the datastore itsself another chance and see if its
possible to use it without much overhead due to transactions.  It is great to
hear that there will be a new major release soon.

- Klaus