[bknr-devel] iconv download?

Hans Hübner hans at huebner.org
Tue May 8 07:38:57 UTC 2007

Kevin,

bknr makes use of the iconv package that is in the thirdparty/ tree.
The original iconv that is linked from cliki.net contained several
bugs that I fixed.  I would not try to use bknr with random packages
installed from the net and use the thirdparty/ versions instead.

I am aware that the dependency on a private thirdparty tree is not
nice, but it has the advantage of keeping the system maintainable
without having to keep up with all the new versions of third party
packages that keep coming up.  The additional disk space requirements
set aside, I don´t think that this requirement is a significant burden
unless one needs features of a newer version of a thirdparty library
included with bknr.

I am planning to factor out the datastore components this year and
make them asdf installable.  An sbcl port is on my todo list as well,
but without a concrete project, this todo list shares my attention
with the several other free-time activities I have.

-Hans