[bknr-devel] Merging development branch

Hans Huebner hans.huebner at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 21:23:14 UTC 2006

Hi Tchadvar,

I did merge back from branches/xml-class-rework to trunk.  This
includes the latest releases of the thirdparty packages as well as the
current development version of the applications I presently support.
I started cleaning up some of the cruft that is in the tree and unused
since years, but there is still a lot to be desired.

About portableaserve:  I am not interested in threading, so I have not
followed what is needed to make paserve thread save.  I've quickly
checked the paserve ChangeLog and there seems to have been little
activity.  Is the latest CVS version any better?   If it helps, I can
try importing the last version into the thirdparty/ tree.

I have thought about removing thirdparty/ altogether, relying on
asdf-install instead.  My recent experience with various open source
packages made me abandon that idea.  I will continue to keep all
packages that I depend on in the bknr repository and update that with
recent releases of packages that are used.  I also try contributing
back fixes to thirdparty/ packages, but I have found trying that being
pretty frustrating.  Many authors do no longer use (and support) the
packages they once wrote, and one can be lucky to get a response to a
mail with a patch at all.  I do like the idea of sharing, but I also
like getting things done for my customers and it is frustrating enough
having to spend much more time fixing bugs in software others wrote
than on the application itself.

Sorry, I just had to write this down somewhere :)

-Hans