[Bese-devel] patches for UCW and some questions for ucw-core

Attila Lendvai attila.lendvai at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 16:26:56 UTC 2009

> Thanks for the link. Obviously inspired by UCW:) Are there core design
> differences?

yes, it started out as an ucw refactor after we agreed with Drew that
we want to bring ucw in different directions. but after a few hours of
struggling, i ended up with a fresh darcs initialize and had to find a
name quickly. wui was born.

some highlighted differences that pop to my mind:

 - continuation stuff is not integral part of wui. if you need call/cc
for a wizard or something else, then use it. the back button? forget
it. the complex webapps we are building are more like a vnc to a
desktop application running on the server, with a limited set of
permanent entry points. you can write your own support for permanent
url's. but to be honest, i didn't even look too deep into the back
button support, so it *may* come later, but i don't care much. some
more words on why:
http://www.google.com/trends?q=jquery%2Cdojo%2Cmootols%2Cyui%2Cextjs
(dropping the ucw backtracking and frame concepts makes it much more
robust for sites with higher traffic).

 - backend abstraction is dropped, it's threaded iolib-only.

 - much more attention was paid for components, including a meta-gui
that can work based on the information available from the MOP (and
integrated with cl-perec for presenting and manipulating any
persistent data model)

 - the xml generation is based on cl-quasi-quote
(http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-quasi-quote/)

 - better error handling and reporting

> Some documentation would be nice also. UCW suffers from a
> documentation too terse to go easily beyond the basics.

i've pointed out too many times how we don't believe in documentation,
so i won't do it once again. the point is: don't expect any docs from
us for wui besides extensive unit tests, and easy to start examples.

--
 attila