[Bese-devel] UCW: The Future.

Holger Schauer Holger.Schauer at gmx.de
Wed Apr 30 06:59:18 UTC 2008

Hi there,

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> The UCW project has been without direction for quite a while now.
> We've got one of the most advanced web application development
> environments out there, but it's not used widely, unstable,
> underdocumented and a bit of a mess.

Wow. And I thought that this surely must only be my outside(r) view.
First of all, thanks for stepping up and also for stating these guidelines.

> I'd like to find out who's using UCW, how they are using it, what
> versions they are using (-dev, -ajax, -something-else) and what they'd
> like to see happen to the project.

I'm using -dev for a little private app. I don't feel confident enough of my knowledge of UCW, the project as a whole, to post any suggestions where it should move, but your stated goals sure look sensible to me.

> 2) No reader macros, defclass*, cl-def or other 'syntax' will be used
> in the base library.

Not having such a guideline is one of the major reasons that keeps me from looking closer at other solutions.

> 4) documentation will be written, and maintained. Now new features
> will be added unless documented and tested.

The main problem with the current documentation is that there is no explanation how the various bits fit together. Docstring extraction is a nice thing, but it's only one part of "documentation".

Currently I have no time to do any lisp hacking at all, but if ucw starts moving, I'll try to follow up. I'm curious in which branch development will take place. To me, it looks like there's a lot of cleaning work to do.

Holger

PS: I'm currently learning Zope and it's really a mind-twisting
experience to see how different the two frameworks are.

--
---    http://hillview.bugwriter.net/   ---
"(declare (tolerate-programmer-stupidity -3))"

Psst! Geheimtipp: Online Games kostenlos spielen bei den GMX Free Games!
http://games.entertainment.gmx.net/de/entertainment/games/free