[Bese-devel] Learning UCW

lists at infoway.net lists at infoway.net
Tue Jan 16 22:15:08 UTC 2007

Henrik,

Thanks for your reply. In order to keep the email "short", I am just going to address some of the things you mentioned without necessarily quoting you.

Anyway, I don't expect everything to be served in a silver platter. If that was the case, I would just stay with Ruby on Rails. I have been learning Lisp for several months and still consider myself a newbie. However, the only reasons I decided to learn Lisp was because of the reason everyone should learn Lisp :), and because of UCW. I think it seems like a fantastic framework and wish I could just speed up time so I become more proficient with it. So, to go straight to the point, I will stick around for as long as it takes or until you guys kick me out for "asking too many questions" :)

Now, as far as code documentation, I don't mean comments for "every line of code", but may be better high-level package/file/function/macro comments. There are many functions that don't have comments at all, so I assume they must be helper functions, but then I see them being used in the examples as "API-like" functions. Then your comment that maybe someone forgot to export a symbol makes it more difficult to understand whether something was really meant to be private or not, and if so, why is it being used in the examples, or if not, why is it not documented.

I don't mind contributing as I move along and decipher what's going on, but having said the above, makes it harder for me to know the real author's intentions.

The other problem is that, it could be that UCW may not be too hard to grasp. However, because it uses so many other libraries (as core, in the examples, and I would assume in production code as well) that I then have to learn these other libraries, which some of them are at the same or worse level of documentation.

I will try to follow your advise as much as possible and contribute as much as possible as well. I just hope I go in the right direction without confusing things more than they need to, given the circumstances.

Thanks again,
Daniel