[Bese-devel] Re: UCW is slow ?

Alexander Kjeldaas alexander.kjeldaas at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 23:54:18 UTC 2006

On 10/14/06, Marco Baringer <mb at bese.it> wrote:
> mico at sibmail.com writes:
>
> > I thought it must be faster than corresponding web frameworks
> > written in perl, python and ruby because of lisp.
>
> what do these frameworks do? note that a default ucw installation does
> a _lot_ of stuff for every 'simple' incoming request (this applies to
> both the _dev and _ajax branches). of course attila's comment holds
> true, ucw has _never_ been optimized for speed (i've yet to write a
> cpu limited web app).

A web-app should never be even close to cpu limited.  I wouldn't want
to use more than 5-10% cpu, 20% max.  If you use more, your response
time suffers badly.

I think that when the time comes and you have finished your application,
then start worrying about speed.  When the first application that requires
ucw to be 10x faster appears, someone will come along to make it 10x
faster.  By the time you finish your application, that person could be *you*
since you then know everything there is to know about ucw :-)

astor