[Bese-devel] Re: Access Control best practice

Vagif Verdi vagif at cox.net
Tue Nov 21 22:18:55 UTC 2006

>i have hundreds of pages, but only one (or three) way to get at them
>so i only write the before method once (or thrice) for the one (or
>three) components which present the 'main menu' for the backoffice.

>for example: whenever we want to add a new adopotion we need to be
>logged in, so the add-adpotion defaction has a before method like the
>on above. actually adding an adoption requires 5 different pages (and
>about 8 componets) but since there's only one way to get at them i
>only have one method to worry about. most of my 'pages' are just calls
>to component so the url is alway index.ucw?s=...&f=...&a=...

Oh, so you have only 1 "page" index.ucw for your entire web app.
Yes, this would work of course.
But I'd rather not loose RESTfulnes of my application, where users can send
each other links to particular pages, instead of digging their way to them
through series of clicks.
So checking user account in central dispatch or url-handle method would be
preferable for me.

Another approach would be (I'm speculating here) assign :before actions to
parent component, and then derive all components from that component.
Would that fire :before action for all components that were derived from
parent component ?