[Bese-devel] :component slots and the slot value

Attila Lendvai attila.lendvai at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 15:52:10 UTC 2006

hi!

i was looking at the code that initializes :component slots, and i
couldn't understand what it was meant to be doing. it was taking the
slot value when available and passed it to the component to be created
as initargs.

(slot-name (list 1 2) :component (foo 3 4))

would end up in a (apply #'make-instance 'foo (list 3 4 1 2))

my question is: is anybody relaying on this? and am i the only one
finding it confusing?

i think this behaviour would be much more intuitive: a :component (foo
1 2) would end up in a (make-instance 'foo 1 2) iff the slot was not
already initialized to something, iow it's unbound. otherwise the slot
is left alone.

i have this modification recorded here and if nobody speaks up for
long enough, i'll push them.

--
- attila

"- The truth is that I've been too considerate, and so became
unintentionally cruel...
 - I understand.
 - No, you don't understand! We don't speak the same language!"
(Ingmar Bergman - Smultronstället)