[Bese-devel] Problem with UCW under SBCL 0.9.13.8 (0.9.13.4 +?)

Steve Salkin steve at salkin.org
Tue May 30 10:19:01 UTC 2006

Hi,

I am trying to build UCW from head using SBCL from head. Here's a
somewhat redacted version of the output:

This is SBCL 0.9.13.8, an implementation of ANSI Common Lisp.
[...]
STYLE-WARNING: redefining INITIALIZE-BACKTRACKING in DEFUN
STYLE-WARNING: redefining INITIALIZE-COMPONENT-SLOTS in DEFUN

debugger invoked on a SIMPLE-ERROR in thread
#<THREAD "initial thread" {B75C4E9}>:
  Error during processing of --eval option "(asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op
:ucw)":

  Cannot add method
  #<STANDARD-METHOD NIL (STANDARD-COMPONENT STANDARD-COMPONENT-CLASS
                                            STANDARD-COMPONENT

STANDARD-COMPONENT-EFFECTIVE-SLOT) {BB7F1E9}>
  to #<STANDARD-GENERIC-FUNCTION (SETF SB-MOP:SLOT-VALUE-USING-CLASS)
(3)>, as
  it specializes the new-value argument.
See also:
  The SBCL Manual, Node "Metaobject Protocol"
  AMOP, Generic Function (SETF SB-MOP:SLOT-VALUE-USING-CLASS)

Type HELP for debugger help, or (SB-EXT:QUIT) to exit from SBCL.

restarts (invokable by number or by possibly-abbreviated name):
  0: [RETRY   ] Retry performing #<ASDF:LOAD-OP NIL {B8BD2E1}> on
                #<ASDF:CL-SOURCE-FILE "standard-component" {B70FC29}>.
  1: [ACCEPT  ] Continue, treating #<ASDF:LOAD-OP NIL {B8BD2E1}> on
                #<ASDF:CL-SOURCE-FILE "standard-component" {B70FC29}> as
having
                been successful.
  2: [CONTINUE] Ignore and continue with next --eval option.
  3: [ABORT   ] Skip rest of --eval options.
  4:            Skip to toplevel READ/EVAL/PRINT loop.
  5: [QUIT    ] Quit SBCL (calling #'QUIT, killing the process).

((LAMBDA (SB-IMPL::E)) #<SB-PCL::NEW-VALUE-SPECIALIZATION {BB7F541}>)

It's actually not a matter of special urgency to get this working, I was
just updating some packages to current and generating a new base image
to use when this cropped up. Since no one else has mentioned it, either
it's just me or no one else is on SBCL head. However I think it's the
latter, since SBCL 0.9.13.4 has a commit message from Christophe Rhodes
saying, in part, "Explicitly disallow specializations on new-value for
(setf slot-value-using-class), as suggested by Levente Mezaros." So I
gather that more people will run into it next month unless one or the
other of SBCL and UCW changes.

S-