[Bese-devel] SBCL on Mac OS X

Waldo Rubinstein waldo at trianet.net
Tue May 2 17:33:26 UTC 2006

Hi guys,

Let me apologize if this is not the most appropriate place to post
this, but, ultimately, I'm trying to develop UCW apps :)

I have been doing some minor development with UCW on Mac OS using
OpenMCL. However, because my deployment environment will be a Linux
box, I plan on using SBCL for production. The problem I have is that
some of the libraries I'm using behave differently in OpenMCL and
SBCL (most likely bugs, which I have been reporting and are being
fixed). Because I'm not a LISP "guru" yet, I don't have the man power
nor sufficient knowledge to fix these problems.

Therefore, I wanted to develop in the same environment my application
will be deployed. That way, I can concentrate on testing under one
environment and reduce the amount of "guessing" which environment is
at fault, if there is a fault from the environment at all. The
problem, as we all know, is that SBCL does not seem to run in multi-
threaded mode under Mac OS X.

I could follow Marco's example on the video by connecting SLIME to a
remote machine, but because most of the work I do is on a laptop and
I'm mobile 75% of the time, I prefer to be able to work locally.

So, onto the question: how do you guys recommend working with UCW in
SBCL under Mac OS X? I searched the archives because I remember
asking a similar question in the past and I believe the most
appropriate answer was that whenever a bug popped up and I needed a
debugger, I could suspend the UCW app, correct what needed to be
corrected, and the resume the app. Well, if this is indeed the most
appropriate answer, how do you do that? :)

Thanks,
Waldo