[Bese-devel] request dispatching

Friedrich Dominicus frido at q-software-solutions.de
Tue Mar 14 08:44:27 UTC 2006

"Attila Lendvai" <attila.lendvai at gmail.com> writes:

> Wouldn't that mean that this breaks every existing application?i'm a
> newcomer to lisp, and one of the most positive aspects of this
> community is that people tend to not care that much about backward
> compatibility... i understand that this may be an issue with deployed
> instances, etc., but there are many ways to handle that.just my
> 0.02, - attila(alias 101 on irc &no 'its not lisp code :)
I disagree, backward compatability is not just a game. It's crucial
for any kind of "serious" investment. Even M$ has gone to extremes to
keep backward compatbility. As you can see in there income that was a
wise decision. Now they are drifting away and suddenly people are not
willing to follow without 'thinking'.

Intel has learned it the hard way also, since they decided to build
the I64 stuff, AMD has taken away a lot of market share.

The tendency at the moment in the GNU world is unfortunatly, "breaks
as much as you can", how many packages still use GTK 1.2 because they
"decided" it's a right thing to break everything.

I like Common Lisp because it is quite stable and I can take code from
back a few years and have a good chance getting it running even in the
newer versions. This is also another big plus for C instead of C++.

you just can think that backward-compatiblity is for weenies if you do
not have large applications. Otherwise you would not write such stuff.

Regards
Friedrich