[Bese-devel] merging standard-server and backends

Marco Baringer mb at bese.it
Sun Mar 5 17:47:00 UTC 2006

in the course of giving ucw a 'normal' request-dispatch, instead of
the inscrutable nested service method mess we have now i've realized
that a lot of things wolud be much much simpler if me merged the
standard-server and backend classes.

what this means is:

1) you will no longer be able to have multiple backends attached to
   the same server (anybody actually do this?) though you could still
   create multiple server objects and attach the same application
   object to each one.

2) conversly a single backend can not be used for ucw and something
   else. i vaguly remeber that some people were running ucw+cliki in
   the same lisp image with the same, doing this will require some
   more code than it currently does. if you do this mind giving me a
   few on how it works?

on the other hand we would gain:

1) there'd be a lot less code in ucw.

2) the require-dispatching stuff almost depends on this and it will
   allow us to very easily implement session-less (or just frame-less)
   actions and entry-points.

comments?