[Bese-devel] Templating

Peter Scott sketerpot at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 18:44:34 UTC 2006

On 1/13/06, Evrim ULU <evrim at core.gen.tr> wrote:
> Thanks for your answer, it was very enlightening. I want to ask some
> specific question about "your way". Do you form up html pages using only
> *div*'s? I mean, you do not try to form up a layout but just put
> seperate content into different div's so that afterwards, designer can
> lay them out quickly via configuring style's of distinct classes?

Not necessarily divs. Paragraphs should be in <p> tags, lists should
be written as <ol> or <ul> lists depending on whether or not they are
ordered, divs should represent logical divisions of the page, and
everything should be liberally sprinkled with class and id attributes
that make sense. The key point is that the structure of the
information should be encoded in HTML, not the presentation---and
there should be enough hooks for presentation to be easily added with
CSS.

Take a look at the CSS Zen Garden <http://www.csszengarden.com/> for a
compelling demonstration of what a good designer can do with CSS to
change the appearance and layout of nicely written HTML. Or look some
more at the example Waldo posted; that was amazing.

-Peter