[Bese-devel] Re: Help installing UCW

Luca Capello luca at pca.it
Fri Feb 3 09:03:29 UTC 2006

Hello!

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 19:12:19 +0100, Erick Ivaan Lopez Carreon wrote:
> Thanks to Henrik, Marco and Luca for your answers.

You're welcome :-)

> - I install parenscript and ucw in a wrong way mixing both one one
> directory:
>
> ~/.sbcl/site
>
> Although i install them with:
>
> (asdf-install:install  "/tmp/****.tar.gz"

FWIW, Debian uses the Common Lisp Controller [1].  This means that for
every CL library which is ASDF-compliant you can directly use the
sources without any headache if you upgrade your Lisp implementations.

So, basically, my advice will be to:

[this is for the CL library/software]
 $ mkdir /folder/where/you/store/CL/sources
 $ cd /folder/where/you/store/CL/sources
 $ grab the CL sources (darcs get [Marco's software], for example)

[this is for the Common Lisp Controller, specific to $USER]
 $ mkdir -p ~/.clc
 $ mkdir -p ~/.clc/systems
 $ ln -s /folder/where/you/store/CL/sources/package/package.asd \
   package.asd

Then, you can just call

 (asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op 'package)

When some CL source files are modified or your Lisp implementation is
upgraded, the Common Lisp Controller automatically rebuilds/reloads
what is needed :-)

> (require :parenscript)
[...]
> utils.fasl version 61 but require version 62 or something similar.

As Marco posted yesterday, this means that utils.fasl was compiled
with a previous SBCL version.

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

[1] http://www.cliki.net/common-lisp-controller