[Bese-devel] Serving static content with ucw

Evrim ULU evrim at core.gen.tr
Fri Feb 3 04:27:50 UTC 2006

Hi,

I was thinking about best practices with ucw web applications and just
wanted to hear your comments if any:)

My aim is simply letting people upload static content to my ucw
application. However, form-upload is not a good way for more than 10
files.  I have made a test and saw that moderate web sites have more
than 100 files. So, uploading 100 files via form is not a good choice.

I've searched web and could not find any webdav servers for lisp:( I
thought apache2.0 will handle this for me, but syncronizing the
authentication/authorization requires a new auth module which will
connect to my sbcl process via for instance simple IPC/cl-ipc with uffi
or cffi . Also, I'm worried about the performance/scalabilty of this method.

Afterwards, i've looked for the old method, the FTP.  Allegro has an
opensource ftp server. I tried to port it until security issues have
taken me over. FTP is an old plain-text protocol:( I propose this
problem may be solved via reverse proxing through Apache using modules
mod_proxy and mod_ftp_proxy. However, it sounds complicated for an
average ucw application.

I'm looking for comments about above methods, or, any suggestions would
be appriciated.

PS. i'm not using any persistence like sql/ldap to gather authentication
information.

Thanks.
Evrim.