[Bese-devel] Bug with backtracking for simple-dispatchers.

Marijn Haverbeke marijnh at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 10:21:08 UTC 2006

When adding a dispatcher like this to an application...

  (simple-dispatcher "foo.ucw"
     (error "FOO"))

... going to the relevant url will cause UCW to blow up with an error about

There is no applicable method for the generic
function

  #<STANDARD-GENERIC-FUNCTION IT.BESE.UCW:BACKTRACK-SLOT (1)>
when called with
arguments

  (NIL [snip])

... even when debug-on-error is nil for that application.

It seems that the :after method of shared-initialize for standard components
assumes its frame argument to be a valid frame, which is apparantly not the
case when the request is handled by a simple-dispatcher. I added a '(when
frame ...)' around the three lines that are using the frame argument in that
function, and that seems to at least suppress the problem. But now I need
someone who actually really understands these parts of the code to decide
whether that is a proper solution, and if not, come up with a better fix.

Regards,
Marijn