[Bese-devel] Re: Patches for ucw_ajax to reduce javascript size

Attila Lendvai attila.lendvai at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 11:28:29 UTC 2006

On 7/29/06, Denys Rtveliashvili <rtvd at mail.ru> wrote:
> Hi Attila,
>
> I made two patches for ucw_ajax that reduce the javascript size on
> pages. When applied together, they reduce the "Form example" page size
> from approximately 38 000 to 18 000 bytes. And there are some
> optimizations which can be additionally made, but I did not do them yet.
>
> One of the patches extracts and simplifies much of javascript code for
> registering fields, creating validators and so on. Another one makes it
> possible to collect javascript code within an HTML form or another

thanks! i've applied it followed by another patch with some
changes/fixes. see darcsweb for details...

> region of a page and then write it as a single piece, thus removing a
> lot of <script> </script> tags.

i wasn't too happy with this, but i can't remember why... :|

but i'm not sure about the idea itself in general. it brings
complexity for the little gain that some bytes are spared.

this effort/complexity should be used for some network traffic
statisctics code that automatically gzip's the output on slow
connections monitoring cpu load meanwhile... that'd be a much bigger
gain... :)

> Could you, please, take a look at the patches attached to this email and
> include them into ucw_ajax if it is appropriate? I suppose I may not
> push the patches to the ucw_ajax repository myself.

write access is restricted to the common-lisp.net repos, only those
can write who explicitly get access, except ucw_public (which should
be cleaned up, probably at the repo renames).

> P.S. I am leaving for vacations, so I will be unavailable for 7-10 days.

have fun and thanks for the patch!

--
- attila

"- The truth is that I've been too considerate, and so became
unintentionally cruel...
 - I understand.
 - No, you don't understand! We don't speak the same language!"

Ingmar Bergman - Smultronstället (Wild Strawberries)