[Bese-devel] Re: arnesi_dev/src/string.lisp #+clisp encoding-keyword-to-native is wrong.

Pascal Bourguignon pjb at informatimago.com
Thu Apr 13 14:47:12 UTC 2006

Marco Baringer writes:
> Pascal Bourguignon <pjb at informatimago.com> writes:
>
> >      ;; These native encodings will be used for the HTTP protocol,
> >      ;; therefore we set the line-terminator to MS-DOS.
> >      ;; Of course, it would be better if this was explicitely requested...
>
> i really hope this comment i wrong, neither the httpd backend nor the
> mod_lisp backend should be treating the http streams as text and both
> should be explicitly sending CRLF _byte_ pairs to the stream.

I see.  The question is whether they will call these octets<->string
functions on single lines or on blocks of texts including CR/LF.

If they convert only lines and insert themselves the 13/10 codes, then
this doesn't matter.

Otherwise, clisp convert-string-to-bytes with an encoding using a
MS-DOS line terminator can be used to generate the CR/LF mandated by
the protocol.  Note that for the convertion from octets to string,
clisp doesn't take into account the line terminator and interprets
both CR/LF, CR and LF as newline.

> i applied the patch.

In a World without Walls and Fences,
who needs Windows and Gates?