[Bese-devel] Loading UCW with ucwctl, cl-launch etc

Luca Capello luca at pca.it
Wed Apr 12 07:46:01 UTC 2006

Hello!

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 05:09:38 +0200, Philip wrote:
> The new starting method first loads those parameters from
> src/default.lisp and then overwrites the defaults with values from
> config.lisp.

Exactly, with minor corrections: the new method loads up the
`:ucw.default' system, which defines the default parameters, loads up
the `:ucw.config' system and finally load the `*ucw-config-file*' (if this is
non-nil, it's value is obtained with `cl-launch:getenv').

The `:ucw.config' system takes care of loading the application systems
and preparing the variable for `ucw:create-server'.  This is the
reason why it's loaded even when `*ucw-config-file*' is nil.

During the patch gestation (which lasted for about 1 month), my first
approach was to add all the necessary code into start.lisp, but then I
opted for a more general solution because it's more scalable and
easier to improve in the future.

> I have attached a start.lisp script, which I use for development,
> and which skips all those extra configuration loading steps.

FWIW, I'm preparing the arnesi patch I proposed at [1]: this
completely removes the cl-launch dependency when manually loading
start.lisp, thus letting the following possible:

  $ CONFIGFILE=filename LOGROOT=directory sbcl --load start.lisp

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

[1] http://common-lisp.net/pipermail/bese-devel/2006-April/001860.html