[Bese-devel] Re: New patches to ucw_dev: 30-Mar-2006

Luca Capello luca at pca.it
Sat Apr 1 16:25:16 UTC 2006

Hello!

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 18:24:43 +0200, Marco Baringer wrote:
> mbaringer at common-lisp.net (Marco Baringer) writes:
>
>> Thu Mar 30 13:20:22 EST 2006  Luca Capello <luca at pca.it>
>>   * render UCW really configurable via ucwctl
>
> NB: this patch makes it difficult to start ucw without detachtty and
> cl-launch. if you don't have those two libs (and don't want to
> download them) don't pull this patch. this will last until we can
> figure out how to make the old 'load-one-file-to-start-ucw'
> behaviour fit into luca's new (very cool btw) framework.

Actually, the detachtty dependency is not really a problem: you can
start UCW directly with cl-launch, but not through ucwctl.  It should
not so difficult to provide an ucwctl option to start UCW without
detachtty, even if this means that you need to keep the terminal open
until the end of the UCW session.  I prefer the ancient option instead
interested and it will be `ucwctl --no-detachtty`.

The major feature of cl-launch is the fact that you don't need to
specify any arguments for the Common Lisp implementation you want to
use, but only the name of the implementation (thus removing the need
for the $EVAL option).

OTOH, the cl-launch dependency is mandatory for the `:ucw.default'
system because the `*ucw-config-file*' and `*ucw-log-root-directory*'
variables are defined through the `cl-launch:getenv' function
($CONFIGFILE and $LOGROOT, respectively).

The simplest (and preferable) solution would be to implement
`arnesi:getenv', thus letting UCW be loadable through the start.lisp
file only, something like:

  $ CONFIGFILE=filename LOGROOT=directory sbcl --load start.lisp

Otherwise, we can modify the `:ucw.default' system to define the
`*ucw-config-file*' and `*ucw-log-root-directory*' variables only when
the cl-launch package is found.

Other suggestions?

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca