[Bese-devel] examples entry point, error message text

Gerd Flaig gefla at pond.sub.org
Tue Sep 20 21:39:27 UTC 2005

Hi,

when I start up from a fresh checkout, the startup messages tell me
about http://127.0.0.1:8080/ , however when I go there, the following
message appears in the browser window:

   Not Found

   Was asked for URL http://127.0.0.1:8080/, but it didn't happen for
   us. Sorry

I believe almost everyone of us has seen this message at least
once. It is confusing. What does 'it didn't happen for us' mean?
Something along the lines of 'http://127.0.0.1:8080 is not a defined
entry point' might be better. The term 'entry point' also hints at a
direction to investigate.

Second, I suggest putting the examples entry point at the root URL
http://127.0.0.1:8080/, i.e. when new users first check out UCW, they
won't see a somewhat funny error message but rather the example
application.

What do you think?

    Goodbyte, Gerd.
--
The last thing one knows in constructing a work is what to put first.
                -- Blaise Pascal