[Bese-devel] UCW vs Seaside (and Scheme)

Marco Baringer mb at bese.it
Tue Sep 13 07:22:21 UTC 2005

Waldo Rubinstein <waldo at trianet.net> writes:

> If you all don't mind a novice question where can I learn more about
> the meaning of xxxx/cc? Is this some CL stuff? Or is this some UCW
> feature? There is definitely a huge performance impact, and I'd like
> to learn more about this.

all the /cc stuff is related to the interpreter. by wrapping code in
with-call/cc you're trading execution time and memory space for the
ability to have continuations, sometimes it's worth the tradeoff,
sometimes it isn't.

i once (quite a while ago) profiled a one of my ucw apps, about 0.5%
of the execution time was being spent executing defaction forms. if
you want faster ucw apps then implement two things: 1) optimized
stream writing (on openmcl 40% of the time is spent in
%write-to-buffer (or whatever it's called)) and 2) component caching
(another 30% is spent rendering components).