[Bese-devel] UCW Installation

Marco Baringer mb at bese.it
Sat Sep 10 17:24:19 UTC 2005

Waldo Rubinstein <waldo at trianet.net> writes:

> 1) Are these errors specific to SBCL?

they are specific to any single thread lisp. recompile your sbcl and
add threads.

> 2) One thing that attracted me from what I read was the ability to
>    debug and fix a running application (similar to what can be done
>    with  Squeak/Seaside). Will this impose any limitations to that
>    end?

yes. within a single thread lisp you've only two ways two fix the code
of the app:

1) from the repl in the admin app.

2) via sldb-eval-in-frame after an error has occured.

neither of these are particularly convenient. you can get by with tese
in production servers (where update are relativly rare) but i would
strongly urge you to use not use a single threaded lisp for
development. (i have an app which is developed on openmcl and then
deployed on clisp+windows)

> 3) What will happen when UCW is handling many requests and some may
>    take longer to execute (kind of blocking the VM)? Can some requests
>    block other users from using the system? Say trigger an event from
>    the browser where UCW needs to parse a very large text file and
>    write  the results to some persistent storage. Could this cause a
>    problem? I  found it did create a problem in Squeak/Seaside

that is exactly what happens in a singel thread lisp. i strongly
suggest you get a multi-threaded lisp, the free options are:

linux: sbcl, cmucl
darwin: openmcl

on windows you'll need to buy allegro or lispworks (or port cmucl or
sbcl to windows or add multi-threading to clisp).