[Bese-devel] multiple forms and s/f/a inputs

Marco Baringer mb at bese.it
Fri Sep 9 06:28:02 UTC 2005

Aleksandar Bakic <a_bakic at yahoo.com> writes:

>> The nested edit form in the presentations example (where one should enter
>> last name) does not work for me (I hope I did not break something) because
> when I
>> click on its "Ok" both its hidden inputs named "s", "f" and "a" and its
>> enclosing form's hidden inputs with the same names are sent to the server.
>
> I found on the web that forms cannot be nested (semantically, even though
> syntactically they can). I am not yet positive about whether multiple forms are
> always all submitted together, or only one can be submitted (but this is easy
> to check by looking at name-value pairs that come in a request from a browser).

sorry, i don't have a lot of time atm to get into this. however my
undertanding is this:

nested forms are treated differently by different browsers and give
unexpected and weird results. therefore you should always avoid
nesting forms. i have gone so far as to add this method to some of my
apps:

(defcomponent my-window (simple-window-component)
 ())

(defmethod render-on :wrapping ((res response) (w my-window))
  (<ucw:form :action (refresh-component res)
    (call-next-method)))

then i simply avoid the <ucw:form tag in all of my components and use
<ucw:submit (as opposed to <:submit) exclusivly.