[Bese-devel] UCW Releases [Was: UCW vs Seaside (and Scheme)]

Marco Baringer mb at bese.it
Tue Sep 6 08:22:54 UTC 2005

Waldo Rubinstein <waldo at trianet.net> writes:

> BTW, I couldn't find on the web site release notes or version
> changes. Is there such a thing posted?

no.

i used to sit down once every two months and create a 'release'. this
was nice since people could see that the project was moving forward
and provided an easy way to check in occasionaly and see what'd
changed. releases give people the impression that ucw has reached a
point of 'stability' and had been tested and that version is known to
work.

lies. damn lies.

the ucw releases took a lot of time to create. thy were rarely tested,
ucw runs on a lot of different lisps, on a lot of different os and
with 4 different backends, tasting all those combinations is was a big
job. they stopped people from grabbing the development versions (which
contained fixs for a lot of bugs in the releases and were otherwise
the same). then, when i forget to make a release, they made the
project seem less active than it actually was.

so, after seeing how well slime got along without making any releases,
i decided to stop making them. i kept the _stable/_dev distinction for
some odd reasen, though the more i think about the less i think that's
a good distinction to make. ucw should have a 'main' branch and, when
radical changes need to be made, these should be done on a seperate,
appropiatly named, branch.

hth.