[Bese-devel] UCW vs Seaside (and Scheme)

Robert Marlow bobstopper at bobturf.org
Sun Sep 4 02:08:54 UTC 2005

Just adding to what's already been said to expand on Scheme's native
support for continuations.

Scheme's interesting not just for its native support for continuations
but also for its tail-call optimisation. This can mean considerable
time and space savings during heavy continuation use compared to a
language lacking tail-call optimisation since it recognises that many
of the extra function calls of continuation passing style need never
return.

Quite a number of common lisp implementations do support tail-call
optimisation (usually after you've made some declaims) so it may not
even be an issue with UCW with these implementations, assuming UCW's
rewrite rules take advantage of tail-calls. Furthermore, for
most web applications the time and space loss is small enough to be
negligible compared to getting all the other benefits of common
lisp. It may be more of a problem for web applications needing many,
many calls and answers but such web applications would be rather
uncommon on the web (pardon the pun).

I'm just talking from my general understanding of continuations
though, so Marco or someone can probably correct me on some
points.