[Bese-devel] require a login

Jan Rychter jan at rychter.com
Sat Oct 29 10:02:06 UTC 2005

Marco wrote:
> "Marco Baringer" <mb at bese.it> writes:
> > Jan Rychter <jan at rychter.com> writes:
> >
> >> Ah, can now I see why. The problem was that I first needed a login form,
> >> so I created an object subclassing form-element. But to call it from an
> >> entry point, I needed it to be a window-component. I also wanted it to
> >> be TAL-templateable. Subclassing both form-element and window-component
> >> wouldn't work, so I made a window-component which contains the form. But
> >> then the form object can't answer, because it is not the one being
> >> called.
> >
> > for reasons (of which this is one) i'm going to remove the requirement
> > that components called in an entry-point be window components.
>
> ok, i did it. window-components are gone (though
> simple-window-component is usefull and remains). the patch has been
> pushed but was tested VERY lightly and will require a complete
> recompile.

Right -- thanks -- but that doesn't quite solve my problem. I guess what
bothers me is that I can't easily have a "standalone" form. Subclassing
form-element gets me a form that can be embedded, but that doesn't
generate the full HTML to be standalone.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to do

(defcomponent my-form (form-element toplevel-component)
  [...])

or

(defcomponent my-form (form-element toplevel-component template-component)
  [...])

and have it do The Right Thing, e.g. generate a callable component with
a form, where I can answer from the submit action.

It's not that it's impossible to do the above, it's just that it seems
overly complicated to wrap things in several layers just to produce a
callable standalone form.

Does that make sense?

--J.