[Bese-devel] YACLML: debianization

Luca Capello luca at pca.it
Tue Oct 25 12:27:04 UTC 2005

Hello!

Preface: I'm not a programmer and not a "so deep" lisper, so if I
wrote something which is completely absurd, please excuse me.

YACLML, together with arnesi, fiveaml and qbook, entered Ubuntu 5.10
Breezy. These are the packages that I prepared a long time ago (March
2005) and they are still based on the arch RCS. I'm in the process of
migrate them to darcs and to let them enter Debian, but I've some
problems with YACLML dependencies...

1) Referring to [1], YACLML *depends* on FiveAM if you want to use the
   test suite. So, if we want a single Debian package from YACLML, we
   need to depend on FiveAM. And AFAIK the same happens for the
   documentation, which needs qbook.

   The other possibility is to have multiple Debian packages, if it's
   possible (I propend for this one):

   cl-yaclml      = all the strictly necessary files
                    (depends on ASDF, arnesi and iterate,
                     suggests cl-yaclml-test and cl-yaclml-doc)
   cl-yaclml-test = test suite
                    (depends on cl-yaclml and FiveAM,
                     suggests cl-yaclml-doc)
   cl-yaclml-doc  = documentation
                    (depends on cl-yaclml and qbook,
                     suggests cl-yaclml-test)

   This could apply to the other bese CL software in Debian.

2) YACLML depends on UCW since patch:

   Fri Aug 12 09:09:34 CEST 2005  Marco Baringer <mb at bese.it>
     * Added feature check for arnesi's "join-strings-return-value"

   =====
   luca at gismo:~$ sbcl
   This is SBCL 0.9.5.50, an implementation of ANSI Common Lisp.
   <cut>
   * (asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op 'yaclml)

     /usr/share/common-lisp/systems/yaclml.asd into
   ; #<PACKAGE "ASDF3923">
   ; registering #<SYSTEM :YACLML {91C12D9}> as YACLML
   ; registering #<SYSTEM :YACLML.TEST {932BAB9}> as YACLML.TEST

   debugger invoked on a MISSING-COMPONENT in thread #<THREAD "initial
   thread" {90032C9}>:
     component "ucw" not found
   =====

   Specifically, this is the /incriminated/ code in yaclml.asd:
   =====
   (defmethod asdf:perform :after
     ((op t) (system (eql (asdf:find-system :ucw))))
     (ensure-system-has-feature :arnesi "join-strings-return-value"
                             "Try pull'ing the latest arnesi or send
   an email to bese-devel at common-lisp.net"))
   =====

   I think this is a *big* problem: it doesn't let you use YACLML
   without UCW, which is something like a loop, since UCW depends on
   YACLML. If we want a Debian package, we must depend on UCW, thus
   preventing users to install YACLML alone.

Am I correct? Solutions?

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

[1] http://common-lisp.net/pipermail/bese-devel/2005-July/000581.html