[Bese-devel] Static Files using HTTPD Backend

Marco Baringer mb at bese.it
Fri Oct 7 21:35:31 UTC 2005

Scott Bell <sebell at gmail.com> writes:

> Hello everyone,
>
> If this is not an appropriate place for this question, please feel
> free to direct me elsewhere or simply ignore me. I'm having some
> difficulties serving static files using the httpd backend in ucw_dev.
> It seems as if I'm not able to properly set the :www-roots  list of
> pathnames, although I have tried several approaches (absolute,
> relative, etc.). Of course the error for all my attempts to grab
> static files is 404.

here's how the www-roots thing works:

when we register an application we teel the backend to serve static
files off of the directories in www-roots at the url-prefix of the
app. so if we have an app with www-roots (list "/home/me/wwwroot/")
and a url-prefix of "/my-app/" the a request for
"/my-app/foo/bar.html" is mapped to the file
"/home/me/wwwroot/foo/bar.html". the pathnames in www-roots are
converted into truenames (so symlinks are followed) by merging them
with (truename *default-pathname-defaults*). if the behaviour you're
experiencing is different than you've found a bug (congratulations!)
and we (fsvo "we") will look into it.

[the exception to this is the mod_lisp backend. in that case you're
going to need to manually configure apache by editing httpd.conf, we
can't do this automatically]

> Can anyone offer any tips and tricks to this process? I had tracked
> down some traffic on this list regarding this issue, but I didn't
> manage to find a solution. I'm using SBCL on linux-i386 and chose
> httpd for the sake of simplicity, another backend could be feasible.

could you try with araneida or portableaserve? the httpd backend may
very well be broken.

p.s. - it was infact broken. see my other mail.