[Bese-devel] performance

Marco Baringer mb at bese.it
Sun Nov 20 10:51:48 UTC 2005

Alex Mizrahi <alex.mizrahi at gmail.com> writes:

> as i remember, older version of UCW rendered examples index page in
> something like 40 msecs, that's not really good, but OK. although
> sometimes it stopped for garbage collection for a few seconds, what is
> not good.
>
> i've checked newer version, and performance was terrific -- about 500
> msecs per page normally and 22 seconds maximum (on full GC, i guess).
> i'm afraid with such characteristics it's not usable for web
> projects..
>
> is that really UCW's performance such bad, or it's caused by problems
> of my configuration?

(are you using cmucl?)

ucw's performance has not been a problem for me so far, so i've never
bothered to make it faster. you're welcome to a) make it faster or b)
at least figure out where the 'hot spots' are so we can decide how to
fix them.

the last time i checked (on openmcl a month or two ago) 80% of the
time spent in handling a request was spent in reading/writing to the
server sockets. so even if ucw was optimized to server requests in 0
msec you'd only of seen a 20% speed up, not really worth the effort,
you should make sure that this is not the case on your setup before
attempting to optimize ucw itself.