[Bese-devel] Threadpooling in multithread-httpd-backend

Nathan Bird nathan at acceleration.net
Fri Nov 11 16:27:07 UTC 2005

Here is a proposed patch improving the multithread-httpd-backend. The issue
is before it had a circular queue of worker threads and it was always
allocating the request to the next worker, even if that worker was still
busy handling a  previous request e.g. some dumb programmer who we won't
name (allright fine, it was me) has somehow gotten an infinite loop or
something in the render function.

The new method keeps a stack of available workers that it pops off of when a
new request comes in. When a worker finishes handling a request it sends a
message back to the control-thread who then pushes the worker back onto the
available-workers stack.  There is a second patch as well that splits the
multithreaded backend into a separate file.  It seemed that there was enough
code here now to warrant that and httpd.lisp was getting kind of large, but
you don't need to grab that patch if you want to keep it all in httpd.lisp.

By default it creates 4 workers when it starts and has a max worker count of
32.  Right now when it exceeds max workers it re-queues the connection
message to the control thread hoping one of the other workers finishes off
in the meantime. This probably isn't the best strategy. What happens if a
worker never becomes available? Can we check to see if the client is still
connected before re-queuing or something?

An alternative might be to just send an error message to the client saying
that the server is too busy. I have the start of a function in here that
should do that (send-error in httpd.lisp, I looked at some of the other
error functions but those all seemed to be at a higher level, I was trying
to avoid reading the full request and just send an error as the response),
except as far as I can tell it never correctly sends anything to the client.
We would probably want this error message to be handled by a separate thread
anyways since we don't want to block the control-thread while sending to the
client "We're to busy". That would probably just aggravate the situation.

Some mechanism for timing out requests that go on for to long would probably
be a good idea. Have that be one of the options when starting up the server
maybe. Somewhere yesterday I saw a with-timeout macro (probably swank) that
might be useful for this.

I've tested this with SBCL 0.9.5 on linux with mod_lisp and it seems to work
there, but overall this patch should probably be considered unstable.

I would work on this a bit more myself but I will be out of town this
weekend and wanted to get what I have out there for other people to look at.
I'm still fairly new to lisp and this is my first attempt at hacking
multithreaded lisp. My handling of conditions is probably not the best.
Maybe some of the veterans out there can look through it a bit and give it a
bit of loving?

Nathan Bird