[Bese-devel] UCW Tutorial

Julian Stecklina der_julian at web.de
Thu Mar 10 13:50:06 UTC 2005

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 11:08:45 +0100
"Marco Baringer" <mb at bese.it> wrote:

> Julian Stecklina <der_julian at web.de> writes:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > is there some kind of tutorial for UCW? I am trying to get started
> > with it, but it is very hard without some initial explanations. I am
> > aware of the documentation and the examples, but there is no
> > aha-effect yet. ;)
>
> a part of me hopes that there will be no 'ah-ha' moment. i'd like ucw
> to be so natural that you don't need to "understand" it but that it
> just works the way you think it should.
>
> a part is is more realistic :) drew campsie (our residente pr) has
> written: http://lisp.tech.coop/Web%2FContinuation
>
> p.s. - were the slides useless as well?

The slides were not useless, but do not have the "How do I get
started"-type of information. :) I understand continuations (My last
book was Lisp in small pieces.), at least most of the time I think I
do...

I found the Web/Continuation page yesterday very late and indeed it got
me started. :) Thanks for the pointer. The slides mention that it is
hard to think of doing things via continuations when you are used to
CGI-style programming and this is certainly true. There is some kind of
transition time where you need to forget all about what you did earlier
with web-based applications. It is like having used PASCAL exclusively
for years, then you get Lisp or Forth and wonder how to actually _do_
something with this stuff...

Btw, anyone knows about "Lisp-friendly" web-hosting in Germany? ;)

Regards,
--  Julian Stecklina

-- Common Lisp can do what C, C++, Java, PASCAL, PHP, Perl, (you --
-- name it) can do. Here's how:                                  --
-- http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1590592395             --