[Bese-devel] Re: clisp and araneida (and windows)

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Fri Jan 28 19:16:04 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 07:30:30PM +0100, Marco Baringer wrote:
> Alan Shutko <ats at acm.org> writes:
>
> >>  I'm pointing to http://localhost:8080/ucw/examples/index.ucw and
> >> the result was the Araneida sorry page (Was asked for URL
> >> http://localhost:8080/ucw/examples/index.ucw , but it didn't happen
> >> for us. Sorry)
> >
> > I was seeing the same thing on SBCL, and after a bit of tracing, found
> > that I needed to point to http://127.0.0.1:8080/ucw/examples/index.ucw
> >
> > If you want to change that, change
> >
> > (defparameter *backend* (make-instance 'ucw:araneida-backend))
> >
> > to something like
> >
> > (defparameter *backend* (make-instance 'ucw:araneida-backend :host "localhost"))
>
> i don't know much about araneida at all, does anyone know what we can
> do to avoid this? (something akin to binding apache to 0.0.0.0)?

Not really much, iirc. But, thinking of it, this shouldn't be fixed. After
all there _is_ a differnce between the URL 'http://127.0.0.1/' and 'http://localhost/'.
Remember, the net location is put into the 'Host' header by all but the most out-
dated and stupid browsers (HTTP/1.1 requires this). So ther first results in an:

 GET / HTTP/1.1
 Host: 127.0.0.1

the second in:

 GET / HTTP/1.1
 Host: localhost

While this might look arguably silly it _is_ important in cases where the same
host (same IP address, to be more precise) hosts several domains (NamedVirtualServers
in Apache parlance).

 Cheers   RalfD