[Bese-devel] UCW 0.3.4 - browser issue?

Marco Baringer mb at bese.it
Fri Jan 14 16:55:56 UTC 2005

Randall Randall <randall at randallsquared.com> writes:

> On Jan 4, 2005, at 2:45 AM, Tim Lavoie wrote:
>> I've just started tinkering with UCW 0.3.4, and have what seems like a
>> peculiar problem. I have it installed (Linux/SBCL/mod_lisp), and can
>> browse the example pages.
>>
>> The odd bit is that while I can do it without difficulty using the w3m
>> text browser, I get the following on the REPL on most pages with Opera
>> or Firefox. I have disabled the usual proxies etc., and cookies should
>> be accepted OK. Any ideas?
>
> This may be Opera and Firefox looking for a favicon in
> the current folder.  More information about this behavior
> can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon .

ucw's default handling of 404s is to drop to a debugger (if
*debug-on-error* is T), this could probably be changed to something
else (just returning a 404 would be a good idea). However, what i'd
generally suggest doing is making apache more selective about which
requests get sent to ucw and which don't. As opposed to having
everything under a certain directory be sent to ucw you probably want
images and static html files to be sevrved by apache, something like
this in your httpdconf:

<LocationMatch ".*\.ucw">
  SetHandler lisp
</LocationMatch>

assuming all your entry-points end in ".ucw"

what we really need is a way for the applications to be able to
communicate with the backend about which urls they should pass to ucw
and which should be dealt with "normally". (though this may only be
applicable to aserve and araneida)