[Bese-devel] Re: ucw 0.3.6pre1

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Tue Feb 8 12:43:02 UTC 2005

On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 12:54:56PM +0100, Marco Baringer wrote:
> rm at fabula.de writes:
>
> > On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 10:33:43AM -0600, Alan Shutko wrote:
> >> I bet this is because we don't have publish-directory for mod_lisp
> >> implemented yet.  (It's just an empty stub right now.)
> >>
> >> What version of mod_lisp are you using?  I'll try to download it and
> >> implement it.
> >
> > I use the module as distributed with Debian/Ubuntu which seems to be 2.33.
> > Hmm, why should mod_lisp be responsible for this? The module just forwards
> > requests to the Lisp server. Shouldn't publish-directory be implemented on
> > the ucw side (and hence my installation should be up to date)?
> >
> >  I'll have a look at it later today,
>
> the idea is that mod_lisp should only send the ucw server requests for
> entry-points or actions, and let apache handle the static files
> itself. not withstanding what we do with publish-directory this is
> still the stup i suggest.

Ah, nice idea - this will leave the dull work of serving images and other
static content to apache (which _will_ result in a performance boost on high
load sites ...).
Well, two points then:

 - this probably means that part of the "website/app" resides close to
   the ucw application (whereever TALs et.al. are put) and another part
   is within the (virtual) servers document root. I kind of like the idea
   of keeping an application in one place (like tomcats WEBAPP).

 - Apache's delegation to a handler can be either URL based (with the
   Location directive) orfile system path based (which doesn't really work
   for dynamic content as is the case with mod_lisp). How should Apache "know"
   that the request for /ucw/examples/index.ucw needs to be send to the mod_lisp
   peer but /ucw/examples/stylesheet.css not?

BTW, i can offer some Apache hacking help if needed. I've done quite a lot of
Apache module programming.

 Cheers RalfD