[Bese-devel] character issues. aka: http is a binary protocol, get over it.

Marco Baringer mb at bese.it
Thu Dec 15 16:16:49 UTC 2005

"Marco Baringer" <mb at bese.it> writes:

> it would be helpfull for me if i could get copies of the data people
> are trying to send back and forth (especially non latin-1 stuff). if
> anyone could send me some example forms and files containing latin-9
> (or whatever) data so i can test things out it that would be
> great. even just an explanation of what you're trying to do (and
> currently doesn't work without ugly hacks) would be enough.

in particular:

what do various browsers send when the name of a field contains non
ascii chars? (i ask only about the name because i'm completly ignoring
how to handle the data for now). i'm interested in both GET and POST
(with application/x-www-form-urlencoded and multipart/form-data
encoding).

I'm pretty sure that application/x-www-form-urlencoded (GET and
regular POST) only allows latin-1 characters, but 1) i don't know what
happens if we try to do it anyway, 2) there's always
multipart/form-data which would allow it via the =?utf-16?Q?=00=DF?=
syntax. this would unfortunetly require that rfc2388 know about
character sets and encodings (which is something i'm trying hard to
avoid).