[Bese-devel] Re: Araneida backends and regexp-entry-point

Aleksandar Bakic a_bakic at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 2 19:15:08 UTC 2005

Hi,

> OK, I attach changeset with this patch and also recoding strings
> received from Araneida (Araneida handles all i/o as iso-8859-1, so
> strings received as iso-8859-1 and then returned as Unicode were
> messed-up).

I tried your patch, but it didn't work for me. First of all, I had
significantly modified araneida and rfc2388 to allow for uploading and
downloading binary images. The only stuff that currently works for me is:

1. In araneida's compat-sbcl.lisp

(defparameter *open-external-format-arguments*
  '(:external-format :iso-8859-1))

Adding :element-type (unsigned-byte 8) in here breaks a call to copy-stream in
the static file handler (I don't know exactly why, probably due to the other
patches mentioned above).

2. In the same file

(defun listener-accept-stream (listener)
  (let ((socket (sb-bsd-sockets:socket-accept
                 (http-listener-socket listener))))
    (sb-bsd-sockets:socket-make-stream
     socket :element-type :default :name "socket"
     :input t :output t :buffering :full)))

Using 'character for :element-type (and :external-format :iso-8859-1) breaks
image uploading.

3. Your %recode... function breaks when I enter some Unicode characters in a
form; the errors is something like "cannot encode <some unicode character> in
:latin1".

I thought I should report all of this knowing that your setup is possibly
different and things probably work for you. If you can upload and download
binary images in addition to Unicode text, please send a complete solution (and
I can send mine, as I already have off-the-list). I also noticed that new
alan-araneida uses a different setup for sb-unicode (it seems that yours is
based on it), but it does not seem to address images yet.

Alex