[Bese-devel] UCW file upload example

Jan Rychter jan at rychter.com
Wed Aug 31 07:30:25 UTC 2005

[replying to a fairly old thread...]

 Marco> Mac Chan <lispweb at mac.e4ward.com> writes:
 >> Hi,
 >>
 >> I was unable to run the file upload example. Upon playing around
 >> with the sample code for a while I figured it out.
 >>
 >> Please see the attached diff.

 Marco> thakn you.

 >> I'm building a site for teachers to upload multimedia contents which
 >> can be upward of 100mb+ files. The way ucw stores uploaded content
 >> in memory cannot cut it.

 Marco> no, it definetly can't. but even if it could wouldn't it be
 Marco> better to use something like ftp (or any protocol which allows
 Marco> resumes) for files that big?

 >> TBNL implemented a hack (write-content-to-file t) where they put a
 >> hook in cl-rfc2388 to allow writing uploaded content to file
 >> directly.  Since it's a hack (TBNL manages the file creation,
 >> uploaded contents itself) for TBNL only, it is not usable for other
 >> frameworks.
 >>
 >> Even if it does, I do not have a good idea of how to incorporate
 >> this into ucw cleanly.

 Marco> just change the mime-part object (i took a quick walk through
 Marco> the backend code it shouldn't be very hard at all).

Has anybody worked on this? I've just hit the same problem.

On a gigabit or fast ethernet LAN uploading files 1GB in size really
isn't an issue -- and users really want it to be simple (meaning: no
FTP, just in-browser buttons).

--J.