[Bese-devel] lookingup symbols in parenscript code

Marco Baringer mb at bese.it
Tue Aug 16 11:38:08 UTC 2005

question: seeing as how javascript doesn't have namespaces, why does
parenscript? consider this code (assuming we've not imported the js
package):

(js:js* `(new (*abstract.*event-observer ,(lookup-js-id field))))

since NEW is not eql to JS:NEW that will get compiled into:

"new(AbstractEventObserver('foobar'))"

instead of what i wanted:

"new AbstractEventObserver('foobar')"

macros aside (since those are actually lisp functions) is there any
point to this behavior? does this code make any sense:

(js:js
  (defun ucw::foo () t)
  (defun cl-user::foo () nil))

currently it doesn't even work (both UCW::FOO and CL-USER::FOO are
converted to "foo") but it could be made to work, if someone could
convince me that it's worth it (i really don't think it is).