[Bese-devel] configs suggestion

Chris Capel chris at iBankTech.NET
Wed Nov 24 13:47:30 UTC 2004

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 Marco Baringer [mailto:mb at bese.it] wrote:

> regarding the configs: if the config is in ucw--dev you have to do:
>
> $ tla get ucw--dev
> $ tla buildcfg libs
>
> if the config is in support--dists you have to do:
>
> $ tla get support--dists
> $ tla buildcfg dev
>
> while i've no problem adding a libs.dev config to the ucw--dev tree, i

> don't see the gain. convince me.

Here's the trick. In both of your examples, you don't tag the UCW
branch. You just "get" it. That means that the archive ('tla
tree-version')remains the one at common-lisp.net. If I want to put it in
my local archive, I need to tag it instead. When you do a get like that,
tla expects that you won't be wanting to edit it any time soon. There's
lots of little differences between a get and a tag, and a tag is the
recommended way to get a branch if you want to import it into your local
archive. So, why doesn't your second example work? Because once you've
gotten ucw--dev (which is what buildcfg uses to download the trees) you
can't tag it! Well, you can tag ucw-2004/ucw--dev, but then it just goes
out to common-lisp.net again. So you have to tag straight away, before
you've downloaded anything. support--dists really just gets in the way
of that. It's really just a tagging issue.

Granted, once you've done a 'tla get' you can do 'tla set-tree-version'
to your local archive and 'tla add-log-version' and then 'tla import',
but when you go and do that import, the logs get all messed up, and I
imagine you lose the seamless border between the archives (though I'm
not sure). So it's really not preferable.

Chris Capel
--
"What is it like to be a bat? What is it like to bat a bee? What is it
like to be a bee being batted? What is it like to be a batted bee?"