[Bese-devel] different tyes of components

Marco Baringer mb at bese.it
Wed Nov 3 16:40:59 UTC 2004

Drew Crampsie - Software Developer <drew at tech.coop> writes:

> I had a defcomponent-container macro similar to what you call a 'root'.
> It would set up the various things specific to a container. I never
> actually used it, because it's quite unpolished. and with the new MOP
> changes it's no longer relevant.

even if you can't publish it i'd love to see a copy of the code, or if
you could just tell me what it did which you found usefull.

> I vote for branching!

so it's 2 to 0. good enough.

here's the new (tentative) component class hierarchy:

- component
  - standard-component
    - window-component
      - 3column-layout
    - widget-component
      - tabbed-pane
      - date-picker
      - option-dialog
      - ...
    - container

window-components will have methods for setting <HEAD> things like the
title, stylesheets (and regular old <style>) and other head tags
(<base>, <meta>, etc.)  widget-components will get a method for
setting a css style or class which should be used when rendering that
component (wrapped in a <div> with the proper attribute set).

"controller" components are still too vague (afaict) to get their own
branch in the heirerchy. if anybody can think of a reason to split
them out (even one method which applies to controller components and
not window or widget would be enough) then i'll do it.

happy hacking.

Forget your perfect offering.