[Bese-devel] trees, threads, and places oh my!

Marco Baringer mb at bese.it
Mon May 3 19:52:13 UTC 2004

ok, that's that. the component-trees branch has been merged into the
main branch (ucw--dev--0.2--patch-72).

changes to look out for:

1) defaction now requires that it's first arg be a component.

2) defaction now binds UCW:SELF to said component.

3) the macros call and answer simply pass UCW:SELF to the generic
   functions call-component and answer-component. In those cases
   where the component contral doesn't follow the "normal" route,
   you'll need to use call-component/answer-component, otherwise
   you'll use call and answer just as before.

4) all the entry points need to set the frame's "root" component, the
   goto macro (and associated goto-component generic function) do
   this.

5) the defcomponent form no longer implictly sets up
   standard-component as a super class of the component, this is
   probably a mistake.

6) when the global variable *inspect-components* is set to T you get a
   link at the bottom of every component allowing you to inspect
   it. this is variable can be toggled from the control panel. i'd be
   nice to have a link which opens up that component in a slime
   inspector, working on it.

7) the transaction example is gone, we really need to rethink
   transactions that we've changed the way components interact with
   each other. we want a way to have the transaction be tied to a
   particular component thread, not the entire frame.

8) the are no longer seperate counter.ucw, hello-world.ucw,
   etc. example urls, just go to /ucw/examples/ and chose from the
   menu on the left. you'll probably need to change apache's
   httpd.conf file to make this url get to ucw.

9) portableaserve may or may not work, i haven't checked. cmucl and
   sbcl may or may not work, i haven't checked.

this is going to become ucw 0.2.1 after i make sure that the
portableaserve backend warks, then it'll be time to overhaul the docs.

to anyone who was hoping that i'd get my act together and start using
css to make ucw aesthetically acceptable: nope.

happy hacking,
Forget your perfect offering.