[Bese-devel] entry points other than index.ucw

Chris Capel pdf23ds at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 15:42:14 UTC 2004

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 12:46:31 +0100, Marco Baringer <mb at bese.it> wrote:
> Chris Capel <pdf23ds at gmail.com> writes:
> > Hmm...
> >
> > I have an application with a entry point "diary.ucw". All actions lead
> > the page to "index.ucw?blahblahblah".
> >
> > I think standard-action-url-generator should probably be taken out
> > completely, as people wanting custom behavior can just define a method
> > around generate-action-url. And then generate-action-url should
> > probably extract the xxxx.ucw portion from the request URL.
> yeah, that's probably the best solution for now. what i'd like,
> eventually, is to allow each component to chose what the links it (or
> a nested component) generate. this will require a component
> dependency protocol (ala clim's grafting/adopting protocol), which
> still requires some thought.

I've been thinking about this too. Ideally, there would be a way to
allow an application to encode its backtracking slots into a URL like
"myapp.ucw/slot1val/slot2val" and so on. And then, only when the user
took an action which required some sort of continuations would the
session information be included (possibly in a cookie, leaving the URL
nice and pristine). So you can mix REST and continuation approaches
freely. Is something along these lines what you're thinking of?

Chris Capel
"What is it like to be a bat? What is it like to bat a bee? What is it
like to be a bee being batted? What is it like to be a batted bee?"
-- The Mind's I (Hofstadter, Dennet)