[Bese-devel] fiveam

Marco Baringer mb at bese.it
Wed Dec 15 16:23:27 UTC 2004

ml13 at onlinehome.de writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am just wondering whether it is intended behaviour of fiveam that
> tests with identical name are overwritten, even if they are in
> different test suites.

> [snip]

> (run! 'suite1) would result in 1 Pass, as well as (run 'suite2)

this is because both suites contain the same test. suites contain test
names, not test objects (redefinition of tests wouldn't be as
convieneint if it weren't so). tests are named by symbols, and all
tests (and suites) are put into the same hash tabel, so not only can
you not have two tests name mytest (in different suites) you can't
even have a test and a suite with the same name.

if i think about it this is probably counter intuitive, however if
tests were named by their name and the name of their suite (like
symbols have a name and a home package) then the value of
fivam:*suite* would affect the test run by (run! 'my-test). this goes
against the way i usually use fiveam (lots of relativly small suites
and test which are generally run singularly).

if you can convince me to change this i'll do it. if you supply a
patch i'll apply it (your expectations are probably a bit more
reasonable than mine).

Forget your perfect offering.