[babel-devel] error downloading babel

harven at free.fr harven at free.fr
Fri Mar 23 15:35:09 UTC 2012

Hello,

I encounter a problem trying to download babel using quicklisp.

I am on debian squeeze and I use the last version of sbcl 1.0.55 that I
downloaded 5mns ago from the website, together with a fresh install of
quicklisp. I can reproduce the error using the version of sbcl 1.0.40
in the debian repositories.

The relevant part of the log which is attached to this message seems to be
* (ql:quickload "babel")
To load "babel":
  Load 1 ASDF system:
    babel

; file: /home/harven/.quicklisp/dists/quicklisp/software/babel-20120208-git/src/enc-unicode.lisp
; in: DEFINE-UTF-16 :UTF-16
;     (BABEL-ENCODINGS::DEFINE-UTF-16 :UTF-16)
;
; caught ERROR:
;   (during macroexpansion of (DEFINE-UTF-16 :UTF-16))
;   #:~A-CODE-POINT-COUNTER fell through ETYPECASE expression.
;   Wanted one of (STRING SIMPLE-STRING).

A similar error has been reported on github
https://github.com/cl-babel/babel/issues/9
where it was suggested to run the command
(alexandria:format-symbol t '#:~a-code-point-counter "UTF16")
Here is what I get.

* (ql:quickload "alexandria")
To load "alexandria":
  Load 1 ASDF system:
    alexandria

("alexandria")
* (alexandria:format-symbol t '#:~a-code-point-counter "UTF16")

debugger invoked on a SB-KERNEL:CASE-FAILURE in thread
#<THREAD "initial thread" RUNNING {AB2C889}>:
  #:~A-CODE-POINT-COUNTER fell through ETYPECASE expression.
  Wanted one of (STRING SIMPLE-STRING).

Type HELP for debugger help, or (SB-EXT:QUIT) to exit from SBCL.

restarts (invokable by number or by possibly-abbreviated name):
  0: [ABORT] Exit debugger, returning to top level.

(SB-KERNEL:CASE-FAILURE
 ETYPECASE
 #:~A-CODE-POINT-COUNTER
 (STRING SIMPLE-STRING))